Popolazione straniera residente in Italia

Italy’s resident foreign population

Resident foreigners in Italy totalled 4,570,317 as at 01 January 2011, 335,000 more than the previous year (+7.9%). The increase was slightly lower than the one recorded in 2009 (343,000 units).

During 2010 the number of resident foreigners rose primarily as a result of immigration from abroad (425,000 individuals) but also partly as a result of births of foreign children (78,000).

In 2010, around 78,000 foreign babies were born, 13.9% of the total number of those born to residents in Italy. Compared with the previous year, the number was up by a mere 1.3%. The increase in 2009 had been significantly higher (+6.4%).

The percentage of foreign citizens in the total resident population (Italians and foreigners) continues to rise: at 01 January 2011 it was 7.5% (from 7% the previous year).

The distribution of resident foreigners in Italy continues to be uneven. 86.5% of foreigners live in the North and Centre of the Country, with the remaining 13.5% in the South. However, also in 2010 the largest increases were seen in the South (+11.5%) and the Islands (+11.9%).

For information

Migration dynamics and foreign presence
Mauro Albani
ph. 0039 06 4673 7215
Domenico Gabrielli
ph. 0039 06 4673 7334

changes of residence, citizenship, foreigners, population register, resident population, statistics report
Population and households
document typology:
Press release
Date of publication
29 September 2011
Full text
(pdf 2 MB)
Yes No